How to Set Up VPN Manually
By Christine Margret 6 minutes
To set up a VPN manually, you must head to your device’s settings. Below I will define the essential steps to form a manual configuration of your VPN on different devices, including Windows 10, Android, MacOS, and Apple devices.
Let’s start over with how to set up a VPN.
How to Set up a VPN?
Those who wish to use a VPN app can select a VPN provider. Download and install the native VPN app for the respective operating system. Then, Sign up for an account, and follow the on-screen instructions to set up the account.
Also, configure settings, such as selecting the desired location, then
connect to a VPN server by clicking “Connect” in the VPN app. Once connected, your internet traffic will be encrypted for enhanced online privacy and security.
Alternatively, if you prefer to set up your VPN manually without using a VPN app, then you can easily do it.
Just make a few changes in the Settings, such as adding a VPN profile or changing DNS settings, and follow the provider’s instructions carefully to ensure a successful setup.
How to Manually Set up a VPN on Windows 10
If you’re planning to set up a manual VPN connection on Windows 10 or Windows 11, it’s important to note that using the built-in client may pose additional security risks.
Therefore, it is generally easier and safer to install a dedicated VPN app provided by your VPN provider for a more secure and reliable connection.
If you still want to create a manual VPN configuration on Windows 10, or Windows 11, then here are the required steps:
- Find an external server to use for your connection. You can set it up yourself or use a third-party VPN service provider.
- Click on the Windows taskbar, type in “Control Panel”, and open it.
- Click on “Network and Internet”, then “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Under the “Change your network settings” section, click on “Set up a new connection or network”.
- From the list, select “Connect to a workplace”, then “Use my Internet connection (VPN)”.
- Enter your credentials for the VPN connection, and click “Create”. Note that specific data encryption measures may depend on your setup.
- To access your VPN, open your Network settings, go to the “VPN” tab, and select “Advanced options”.
- In the newly opened window, fill in your credentials and click “Save”.
- Finally, click on your Wi-Fi connectivity icon, select your VPN connection from the list, and click “Connect”.
How to Manually Set up a VPN on Android
Setting up a VPN on an Android device is easy as it is built into the operating system, allowing you to configure it directly from the phone’s Settings menu without needing to download a separate app.
Here’s how to manually set up a VPN on Android:
- Open the Settings menu on your Android device
- Go to network settings, which may be labeled as Wi-Fi & Internet or Wireless & Networks.
- Select VPN and press on the plus (+) button to add a new VPN configuration.
- Enter the information provided by your VPN provider, including the server address, username, password, and any other required details. Choose the protocol recommended by your provider.
- Click Save to save the VPN configuration.
- You’re done! You can now connect to the VPN from your Android device whenever you want to enhance your online privacy and security.
How to Manually Set up a VPN on MacOS
Follow these steps to manually set up a VPN using the built-in client on macOS:
- Begin by locating a server from your VPN service provider that will enable your VPN connections.
- Open System Preferences on your Mac and select Network.
- Click on the “+” icon to add a new network configuration. Choose VPN and select the appropriate tunneling protocol.
- Give the configuration a unique name and click Create.
- Enter the server address and other required details provided by your VPN service provider.
- Click on Authentication Settings and enter your login credentials for your VPN service.
- Once all the information is filled in, click Connect to establish your VPN connection and enjoy the benefits of your new VPN service.
How to Manually Set up a VPN on Apple Devices
These are the steps to create a manual VPN configuration on Apple devices:
- Begin by unlocking your iPhone or iPad and accessing the Settings app.
- In Settings, locate and tap on the General option, followed by VPN.
- On the VPN page, look for the Add VPN Configuration option and tap on it.
- Obtain the necessary information from your network administrator, which should include details such as the VPN protocol, remote ID, server, and authentication login info.
- Enter the provided information into the appropriate fields on the VPN Configuration page.
- After entering the information, tap on Done to save the VPN profile.
- You can now easily enable or disable the VPN connection by using the slider toggle on the VPN page in Settings, allowing you to effortlessly manage your VPN settings.
How can I Set up a VPN?
For those who are proficient with technology, hosting their own VPN servers can be a viable option. There are several methods to set it up, such as utilizing a virtual private server (VPS) on a cloud platform, configuring it on a router, or using a standalone dedicated physical machine. This allows for greater control and customization of the VPN setup, but requires technical knowledge and expertise to ensure proper configuration and security.
Setting up a VPN manually can be an excellent option for those who prefer more control and customization over their VPN configuration. However, it requires technical knowledge and expertise to ensure proper setup and security. The general steps include choosing a hosting method, selecting a VPN protocol, obtaining a server, installing and configuring VPN software, and setting up user accounts and credentials.
With proper setup and maintenance, a manually configured VPN can provide enhanced privacy and security for your online activities.