How to Setup Static IP Address on Your Device
By Johan Curtis 7 minutes
A Static IP address is a fixed IP address that remains unchanged. A proxy server remains in a location set by your choice—bypassing certain restrictions until your device architecture changes. The Dynamic IP address often changes from time to time.
A static IP address assists with remote access solutions and improves network security when setting your computer as a server. Setting up a static IP address is simple to implement. In the following article, We will let you know how to set up a static IP address on your device in a step-by-step guide for all your OS devices that we tested.
On What Devices Can You Setup a Static IP Address?
A static IP is usually used by businesses or those utilizing remote work to access a particular server to send and receive information. You can change your IP settings by entering the static IP you want to join for any device you use. Furthermore, going through the article, you will learn about every device’s steps to utilize your static IP.
Steps to setup a static IP address on iOS
No matter what model of iOS device you have, the steps to have a static IP address on your iOS device remain the same. It gives you access to much more reliable access to the server you want.
- Open your iPhone settings and select “Wi-Fi.”
- Tap on the network you are connected to.
- Scroll down to IPv4 and select “configure IP.”
- Tap to choose the “Manual” option.
- Input your static IP address.
Steps to setup a static IP address on Android
One of the most used operating systems for smartphones around the globe is Android. To set a static IP address on an android system, you just need to follow these six steps.
- Open your device “Settings,”
- Select “Wi-Fi”
- Tap on the gear icon given beside your connected Network.
- Select “IP settings” and choose “Static.”
- Now input the static IP address in the provided IP address section given below.
- And select “save.”
How to Setup a Static IP address on macOS
MacOS is a unique OS designed by Apple Inc. with a security system other than Windows, which needs to be purchased separately. Even though that feature was added to macOS, it still threatens network security. Here are the 8 easy steps to set up a static IP on your macOS device.
- Click on the Apple logo and click “System Preferences”.
- Select Network
- From the sidebar, click on your active network interface name.
- Click “Advanced”.
- Tap to select “TCP/IP”.
- From the “Configure IPv4” drop-down menu, select “Manually”.
- Enter the static IP address in the “IPv4 Address” field.
- Click “OK” and then “Apply”
Steps to set up a static IP address on Windows 10
Windows is one of the most used OS around the globe. A Static IP Address for a much more stable and reliable connection can give you peace while surfing on a particular chosen IP. Here are the steps to set your Static IP address on your Windows 10.
- Go to your PC “Settings”.
- Select the “Network and Internet” section
- Click “Change Adapter Settings”
- Right-click on your active network connection and click “Properties”
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Enter the static IP address and then the subnet mask.
- Click “OK” to save the settings.
How to enter a static IP address on Linux
Linux is an open-source operating system used mainly through database servers and many other shared servers. These are usually found in companies/organizations. To set up a static IP on Linux, simply follow the mentioned steps below:
- Enter the command “ip addr” to identify your network interface on which you want to set a static IP address.
- Edit “/etc/network/interfaces” file by entering this command: sudo vim /etc/network/interfaces
- In the file, locate the entry as shown below:
- auto eth0
- iface eth0 inet dhcp
- Change this above entry to the following:
- auto eth0
- iface eth0 inet static
- address 192.168.0.25
- netmask 255.255.255.0
- gateway 192.168.0.1
- dns-nameserver 184.108.40.206
Note: Make sure to change the name of the interface with your interface name.
- Save and close the file.
- Restart networking service by entering: sudo systemctl restart networking
Easy steps to setup a static IP address on Raspberry Pi OS
A Raspberry Pi is a single-board computer located on a single board. It is a versatile and highly cost-effective system. Below you will find easy steps to learn how to set up a static IP address for the Raspberry Pi.
- To configure a static IP to your Wi-Fi network, run the following command: sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf
- Add the following at the end of the file.
- interface wlan
- static ip_address=192.168.0.40/24
- static routers=192.168.0.1
- static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1, 220.127.116.11
Note: Make sure to replace “wlan” with your WiFi interface name.
- Save and close the file.
- Reboot Raspberry Pi.
Those, as mentioned earlier, are the ways to set up a static IP address for your particular device. Moreover, there are other ways to set up a static IP address on your device.
Setup a static IP address through a router
Set a static IP address through your router for a particular device on its network. You’ll need its MAC address for whatever device you want to configure with the static IP address. Additionally, that device has to be connected to the router.
Note: Remember that different router brands have various system operations, so these steps might conflict with yours.
- Type your router’s current IP address on the search engine to access the router’s configuration page.
- Scroll down to find sections like “LAN setting,” “static IP addresses,” or “DHCP reservations.”
- Proceed to the router’s network and input the MAC address of the device you want the static IP for.
- Now input the static IP address you want to assign to that device.
- And save changes.
Now that you know how to set a Static IP address to your device, let’s move on to the benefits of having a static IP address.
What are the benefits of a static IP?
There are many benefits of using a static IP. Amongst them includes the major ones mentioned below:
Better server hosting
Having a static IP makes it easier for the audience to find you with the help of DNS while you are hosting an email server, a web server, or any other. In a practical view, it makes the process quicker for your clients to reach your website and avail of your services if they have a static IP address.
Convenient remote access
Working remotely becomes easier on a static IP by using the best VPN for remote access, like FastestVPN or any other remote access application.
Audio and video communications or teleconferencing with Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) becomes easier using a static IP.
Better DNS support
An IP is easier to set up and manage with a DNS server when you prefer static over dynamic.
Reliable geo-location service
Services can associate an IP address with a specific location using a static IP address. You are more likely to receive the weather report you require if you utilize a local weather service with a static IP address instead of one for the city nearby.
How to know my IP address?
Now you know a static IP and how to set it up on your device. What is your IP address? Go to your device connection setting and tap on the current connection to have a complete view of your IP address.
How can I protect static IP?
Whether your internet IP address is static or dynamic, your ISP and cybercriminals may still roughly determine where you are and what you're trying to do online. You should protect it from spying eyes no matter what kind of IP address you have. A VPN, like FastestVPN, can aid in preserving your privacy and security.
Which is the best IP address? Static vs. dynamic
There is only one ideal IP address that works for some. A computer or device should use a static IP address, while a dynamic IP address is preferable. The type of connection will influence whether dynamic or static IP addresses are better for you. While an active IP address is ideal for a home network, a static IP address is more likely to benefit a corporation.
Is a static IP expensive?
A static IP usually costs you more than the usual dynamic one assigned by Internet Service Provider (ISP). It usually costs around $12-$18/per month, and you need to ask your ISP to obtain one to access the appropriate static IP address.
How many types of IP addresses are there?
There are four types of IP(Internet Protocol) addresses assigned to send and receive information: Public, Private, Static, and Dynamic.
Setting up a static IP address is usually beneficial for businesses hosting their websites and internet service. Most importantly, with the trend of working these days remotely, a static IP works well while logging into work using the best VPN to work Remotely, like FastestVPN, to keep your connection encrypted and secure.