How to Install Kodi on Roku (Step by Step Guide 2021)
By Nancy William 12 minutes
There is no Kodi app available for Roku, and nor can you jailbreak it. However, this guide will show you the best alternative to install Kodi on Roku, using the casting and screen mirroring technique!
To make things easier on you, take a look at the table below to know what to expect.
Table of contents
- How does Roku work
- Install Kodi on Roku (Streaming Stick, Ultra, Express & Premiere)
- How to install Kodi on Roku 4/3/2
- Install Roku on Kodi using Windows 10 PC
- Install Kodi on Roku via Android Smart TV
- How to turn on screen mirroring on Android and Windows
- Best Kodi add-ons to use on Roku
- Connect to a VPN when using Kodi on Roku
Kodi is one of the best streaming services available today that packs a heavy punch in amping up your streaming experience! Need to make it better? Pair Kodi on Roku, and you’ll never go back! Kodi isn’t just compatible with Roku, but works with most of the popular OS devices like Windows, macOS, Android OS, iOS, Xbox, or PS4!
It’s every streaming and movie buff’s dream come true! So, if you’re wondering how to install Kodi on Roku, this guide will show you how to get started.
The two giants, Kodi and Roku, put together, will give you the best streaming experience without any cost! This 5-minute guide is carefully structured to help you install Kodi on Roku. Skim through and get an easy solution to watch all your favorite TV shows and movies for free.
How Does Roku Work?
Roku is one of the best streaming devices, which works towards downloading videos from the internet, and allows users to watch it live. It plugs into your TV through an HDMI cable, and runs when connected to the internet via a wireless or wired home network. The only downside is that you won’t be able to download and store any content.
Here’s a simple tutorial on how you can set up Roku on your TV:
- Plugin Roku device on the TV
- Connect Roku to the internet/Wi-Fi
- Launch Roku on your TV set and you’re sorted!
How to download Kodi on Roku
- Take the HDMI cable, and connect one end to your Roku Media Player and the other end into your Smart TV.
- Connect the devices to an electric socket and switch on.
- Next, turn on your PC or laptop and download Kodi from a known and trusted website.
- Install it on your PC.
- Now, use a VGA cable connecting your PC and Smart TV, by inserting the cable into the VGA port of the TV.
- A VGA cable does not support any audio mirroring, so make sure you insert an Audio Jack into the PC and TV.
- Next, open the Control Panel on your desktop and click on the Display option.
- Select Adjust Resolution and select your TV connection on the display drop-down menu.
- Start mirroring.
Install Kodi On Roku (Streaming Stick, Ultra, Express & Premiere)
Is Kodi available on Roku? The short answer is no. Kodi is a C/C++ application that is not supported by Roku as yet. This is why an official Kodi app for Roku isn’t launched. However, there are still ways to install Kodi on Roku and that is through CASTING KODI ON ROKU. Setting up Kodi on Roku is pretty simple when you follow the guide as is, step by step.
Note: Make sure that you have configured your router with VPN and that your Roku and Android/Windows device are connected with the same Wi-Fi network.
Here’s what you need to do to install Kodi on a Roku Streaming stick, Ultra, Express, or Premiere device:
- Press the Home button from your Roku remote
- Click on Settings and select System Update to confirm (for the latest Roku version.)
- Go to Settings, and click on Screen Mirroring. Now, select Enable Screen Mirroring.
- Click on OK
Now pick up your Android/Windows device and follow our device guides from below.
How To Install Kodi On Roku 4/3/2
The best way to install Kodi on Roku 4, 3, or 2, is by using the screen mirroring technique. It wouldn’t be a big task considering the option is available on all generations. Screen mirroring is the only way to install Kodi on Roku and you can use it to replicate your entire PC or Android screen on your TV.
To get Kodi on Roku, first, make sure Roku 4,3 or 2 and your PC/Android device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Here is what you need to do to activate screen mirroring on Roku 4,3, or 2:
- From your Roku remote, Press Home screen
- Now go to Settings > System and Select Screen Mirroring
- Select the “Always Allow” option to activate
Now that you know how to enable the screen mirroring option, use the same steps to proceed to installing Kodi on Roku via Windows/Android/Android TV.
Install Kodi on Roku via Windows 10 PC
The tutorial below is using Roku 3. If you have a Windows Laptop/PC, mirroring your Windows Kodi screen to your Roku device will be very easy from here on. To cast Kodi from your Windows PC to Roku device, here is what you need to do:
- Go to your Windows device, and then move to the right side of the screen.
- Click on Devices and then on Project.
- Now, click Add a Wireless Display.
- Choose the display that is connected to your Roku device.
- Next, you follow the simple on-screen instructions to complete adding your Roku display.
- Lastly, on the right edge of the screen, select Devices and then Project, and then select your Roku display.
Install Kodi on Roku via Android Smart TV
You can also install Kodi on Roku through Android Smart TV and watch your favorite shows and movies on the big screen. The tutorial below is using Roku 3. To get Kodi on Roku through Android Smart TV, here is what you need to do:
- Install Roku on your Android Smart TV
- Go to Roku 3 Home by pressing the Home button
- Go to Settings
- Click System Update to be sure that you have an upgraded version
- Go to Settings again
- Select Screen Mirroring
- Now Click on Enable Screen Mirroring
- Click OK
- Now connect your Android smartphones to your Smart TV via screen mirroring using our Android guide from below and stream all media content you want via Kodi on your Roku device!
How to Turn on Screen Mirroring on Your Android and Windows
The screen mirroring feature is available on Android 4.4.2 or above versions. So in order to mirror Kodi from your Android devices to your Roku device, ensure that you have an Android device with a 4.4.2 version or above. Follow the below guide to turn on screen mirroring on Android and cast Kodi on Roku:
- Go to Settings
- Look for an option that says ‘Display’, ‘Network, Cast’, ‘Connection’, ‘Smart View’, ‘AllShare Cast’, ‘Screen Casting’ or ‘HTC Connect’ (there is lack of standardization in Android devices thus the differences in this step)
- Once you find the mirroring option for your device, select the display you would want to connect to (Roku will show up when both your Roku and Android device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network)
- Turn the Kodi app on and enjoy watching!
Apart from Windows PC/laptops, you can also use your Windows smartphones and tablets to cast Kodi from your device to Roku. It’s really easy, you just need to follow the below steps:
Note: For Windows tablets, set up a wireless display first, then proceed.
- Go to Devices tab (formerly known as Control Panel)
- Select Roku (make sure it is connected to the same network otherwise it won’t show up)
- Turn Kodi on and you’re set to go to town!
Kodi Add-ons That Work Best On Roku
There are 1000 plus best Kodi addons that are available and working smoothly. Some of the add-ons that can be installed on Roku for seamless streaming of movies, TV shows, live sports, and TV are as follows:
Movies and TV Shows
- Exodus (forks of the repo)
- Bob Unleashed
- Genesis Reborn
- 123 Movies
- Pure Sport
- Stream Engine
- Planet MMA
- Sports World
- Elektra Vault
- Maverick TV
- cCloud TV
- USTV Now
- Stream Engine
Install these add-ons from the best Kodi repositories and enjoy anything ranging from the oldest stock to the latest.
Connect to a VPN when using Kodi on Roku
There are many reasons why using a VPN is necessary while installing or using Kodi on Roku. You might come across certain Kodi content that is restricted to geo-blocks, which is something a VPN will fix. I recommend using FatestVPN to fulfil this gap, and enjoy any content via Kodi on Roku.
You cannot stream the content if you are present outside the original location where the addon is based. FastestVPN helps you bypass any such geo-restrictions allowing you to watch anything you want without any hassle.
Another reason to get FastestVPN (even if the add-ons are not restricted), is protection. It may not come as a priority to many but cybercrime is real and prevention is a must! You are prone to hackers attacking your system or copyright agents tracking your activity making you vulnerable when connected to a Wi-Fi device 24/7. FastestVPN prevents spies from hacking into your system giving you full privacy and security.
To keep your Roku device and online activity safe, it is smart to get a Kodi VPN.
Setting Up Kodi on Roku with VPN
FastestVPN can be set up on Kodi or Roku in many different ways. The setup method is different for all depending on the device you use the streaming service on. To set up FastestVPN on Kodi, Roku or Kodi on Roku here’s what you need to do:
- Get FastestVPN subscription
- Download and Install app for FastestVPN if you plan to use it on Windows, Android, iOS, or Mac
- If you want to use it on Kodi Box, Roku Device or Android TV, configure FastestVPN with the router
- Connect to the server location as required by the channel/add-on you want to access
- Enjoy streaming video content safely!
Is Kodi available on Roku?
No, Kodi is not available on Roku. Roku uses a customizable Linux OS platform, and cannot be jailbroken either. So, in short, there is no app for Kodi available on Roku, but there are alternatives to access Kodi content on Roku:
- Screen mirroring
- And, can use the Roku media player app to access content through a USB or local network.
Can we jailbreak Roku?
No, you cannot jailbreak a Roku device since it operates using a secured and enclosed system software. However, that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to stream content on Roku. There are other alternative methods that you can use called casting or screen mirroring; projecting content onto your Roku screen.
What is the difference between casting and screen mirroring Kodi on Roku?
When we talk about casting or screen mirroring Kodi content on Roku, the end results somewhat mean the same thing, but not entirely. Screen mirroring Kodi on Roku means projecting the exact same content from one device, for instance, your computer or smartphone, and projecting it to your Roku, via a wireless or wired cable.
Casting Kodi on Roku on the other hand also involves receiving content to the Roku screen, but will only play on one screen at a time. For example, if you’re planning on casting Kodi content from your Android to your Roku screen, the media file will only play on your Roku.
Is there a way to install a Kodi APK file on Roku (Jailbreaking)?
Generally speaking, Roku doesn’t work too well with any third-party APK files. Roku operates using a standard and limited operating system that doesn’t quite support most Android apps.
As mentioned above, we can’t actually jailbreak any Roku device nor can you Jailbreak Kodi on Roku, regardless of which generation device you’re using.
So, the answer is, no. You can’t jailbreak a Roku because of its limited system software. However, since there is no official Kodi app available for Roku, you still have a way of adding it. You can stream any Kodi content on Roku by a method called casting or screen mirroring using other devices like your Windows, Android, iOS, or Mac devices on your Roku.
Can I add streaming channels to Roku?
Yes, you can. Just like any other streaming device has an app store, for instance, the Apple Store for iOS, and Google Play for Android, Roku too has a Roku Channel Store. Some Roku channels are available for free, while others require full paid or timely subscriptions. You can easily learn how to add channels to Roku with a simple tutorial.
Conclusion – Install Kodi on Roku
Add Kodi to Roku and enhance your streaming experience by two-folds! Install Kodi on Roku and stream movies, TV shows, live sports and live IPTV. Kodi on Roku is a perfect source for your entertainment needs. Don’t forget to get the FastestVPN connection so you can enjoy content from anywhere in the world to your heart’s content.