How to Change your IP Address
By Nancy William 8 minutes
The internet today is not as safe as it used to be. Every website you visit and every app you use at some point always monitors and logs user information. In fact, it’s become out of control to a point that almost anyone can trace your footprints back to you, especially hackers. With that said, it’s important that you know how to change your IP address.
This guide will show you not only how to change your IP on Android, but multiple other devices. Let’s get started!
Table of contents
- What is an IP address?
- How many kinds of IP addresses are there?
- Changing your IP address
- How to change your IP address on an Android phone
- Finding your Android local IP address on the device
- How to change your IP and location on Android via VPN
- On iPhone
- For Mac
- On Windows 10
- Why do you need to change your IP address?
What is an IP address?
Everyone and every object have a separate identity that makes them identifiable – the same applies to the device you use, identified through its IP address. An IP address consists of 32-bit numerical and hexadecimal numbers.
Every device you use that is connected over the internet, all have different IP addresses, for them to be distinguishable. These IP addresses are assigned to your device by your Internet Service Provider.
You could say that IP addresses for devices are like home addresses for you. Through this IP address, other devices over an internet network can communicate with each other and on the websites visited.
All the websites you visit too have unique IPs, based on the IPv4 format. This is the simplest way to explain what an IP address is, but there’s much more to it!
How many types of IP addresses are there?
There are numerous types of IP addresses, but the two main types of IPs are Static IP addresses and dynamic IP addresses. As mentioned above, your internet service provider is in charge of assigning your device an IP address once it’s connected to a network. Entirely dependent on the kind of network connection you have, your ISP can accordingly assign you either a static IP or a dynamic one.
Changing your IP address
Whether you use Windows, Android, iOS, or Mac, or another device, there’s always a way on how you can change your IP address. You don’t need to be a tech-savvy person to change it! Here are 3 of the more common methods used to change your IP address:
Method 1 – Use a VPN
A VPN, short for Virtual Private Network, is one of the easiest and best ways for you to change your IP address. Using a VPN’s servers, all you need to do is connect to any one of them and virtually appear in that server location, hiding your real IP address. FastestVPN offers numerous international servers that you can connect to; to shield your physical IP address.
Method 2 – Use a proxy
A proxy is not as safe compared to a VPN, but it’s considered as one of the ways for you to change your IP address. Unlike a VPN, a proxy doesn’t really offer you numerous server locations to connect to. However, using a proxy server, your physical IP address is automatically shielded. Using it you can access regional content while traveling outside the country. The downside is that proxies don’t come with encryption compared to a VPN.
Method 3 – Use a TOR browser
Most users who access the Dark Web, utilize the Tor Browser. It’s one of the best browsers as compared to others like Google Chrome or Firefox. It’s secure and takes priority with high-end encryption, making you anonymous online. TOR browser is a great alternative for users to change their IP address, but be careful what you use it for as not every website allows access using it.
So, if you’re wondering how to change your IP address, a VPN is one of the best ways to change and hide your IP address. Other than that, you can use the two other alternatives mentioned.
How to Change your IP Address on Android
How to change your IP address on an Android phone
- Go to settings on your Android phone
- Click on “Wireless & Networks” or “Network & Internet.”
- Now, click on “Wi-Fi.”
- Press and hold down on the Wi-Fi network that you are connected to
- Click on “Modify Network.”
- Click on “Advanced options.”
- Now, change your android’s IP address. Switch it from “DHCP” to “Static.”
- If these steps don’t work, forget the Wi-Fi you’re connected to and restart the process.
Finding your Android local IP address on the device
Now that you know how to change your IP address on an Android phone, here’s how you can find it:
- Go to your Android phone “Settings.”
- Click on “About Phone.” It will either be on the top or scroll to find it on the list.
- Now, click on “Status.”
- Scroll and you’ll see the local IP address and the Mac address of your Android smartphone.
How to change your IP and location on Android via VPN
- Sign up with FastestVPN.
- Download and install the Android app.
- Once installed, launch the VPN.
- Sign in to your account.
- Connect to any one of the server locations that you’d like to appear in.
- That’s all!
- Go to whatismyipaddress.com and check to see if your IP address and location have changed.
How to Change your IP Address on other Devices
- Go to “Settings” on your iPhone.
- Click on the “Wi-Fi” option.
- Now, there will be an info icon beside the name of the Wi-Fi network. Click on the one that you want to change the IP address for.
- Head to the “Static” tab.
- Enter in the IP address that you want in the IP Address bar
- Lastly, click on the Wi-Fi icon to save all changes.
- Click on the “Apple” logo on the top-left of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, click on “System Preferences.”
- Click on “Network”
- Now, from the left-side bar, click on the kind of network you’re using. In this case, you’ll click on “Wi-Fi.”
- Click on “Advanced” on the bottom-right of the screen.
- On the top of the screen, click on “TCP/IP.” You’ll find this alongside other options like (DNS, WINS, 802.1X, Proxies, Hardware)
- On the Configur e IPv4 tab, choose “Manually.”
- You can now change the IP address on the IPv4 Address tab.
- Click on “OK” and then on “Apply.”
- You now know how to change your IP address on Mac.
On Windows 10
- Go to the “Settings.”
- Click on “Network & Internet.”
- On the left-side bar, click on “Wi-Fi” and then select your Wi-Fi on the right side panel.
- Under “Network IP settings” click on “Edit.”
- Under “EditnetworkIP settings” choose “Automatic (DHCP)”
- Click on “Save.”
- Enable the IPv4 button to “On.”
- Enter in all your details for changing your IP address.
- When done, click on “Save.”
Why do you need to change your IP address?
Since you now know how to change your IP address on multiple devices, it’s good to know why changing your IP can sometimes benefit you. Here’s how:
- First and foremost, changing your IP address is crucial while traveling outside your country. For starters, you won’t be able to access your local bank accounts while outside the region. When you change your IP you can unblock them. Other than that, by changing your IP address, you’ll have access to some of the best streaming services and websites while on the go.
- Online privacy and security are crucial. There are many websites that monitor your activities and log your data. With that said, changing your IP address with FastestVPN can help bypass ISP throttling and restrict the amount of data websites and apps collect.
By changing your IP address, you’ll be able to sign up for one service with multiple accounts. This is because some websites restrict what you can do depending on whether you’re already registered with one IP.
What is the simplest way to change your IP?
The simplest way to change your IP address on your device is by changing your internet network. You can use one network for one device and a different network on another device. However, for added security, a VPN is the best way to change your IP.
Is it legal to change your IP address?
Yes, it's legal to change your IP address in many countries around the world. However, always make sure you’re aware of the laws of the state while proceeding with it. For most reasons, users change a device IP address to enhance online security against threats, or invasion of online privacy. We wouldn’t count that as illegal.
Does a VPN change your IP?
Not entirely. What a VPN does is replace your physical IP address with a new virtual one. When you connect to any of a VPN’s servers, your IP address appears as if its in that location instead of your own.
You now know how to change your IP address! As mentioned above, there are many reasons why changing your IP address on Android and other devices benefits you.
So, if you’re planning on maintaining online privacy and security, unblocking regionally blocked services, and more, changing your IP address on your device is the only way.
Other than that, FastestVPN offers the easiest and safest solution to changing your IP. It offers numerous servers that you can connect to that offer more benefits than just changing your IP.