How to Add Channels to Roku Device
By Nancy William 8 minutes
After you set up your Roku, you’ll be able to enjoy the best streaming content possible! However, if you’re not sure how to get started, this guide will show you a couple of ways on how to add channels to Roku!
You’ve set up your Roku TV, now what? For a better experience, you’re going to need to add Roku channels or streaming services to your device. If that’s not something you can manage on your own, we’ll show you 3 ways on how to add channels to Roku TV.
The process of adding Roku channels is quite
How to add channels to Roku
There are around three ways for you to add channels to Roku; via your Roku device, the Roku mobile app or the Roku website. For those of you who aren’t aware of how you can add Roku channels on your device, take a look below at 3 easy methods!
How to add channels to Roku via its device
- Click on the home button on the Roku remote.
- Click on “Streaming Channels” from the menu.
- Look for the channel to add to Roku, and click on “OK” on your remote. This will launch the Roku Channel Store.
- Alternatively, you can use the “Search Tool” to look for the channels on the Roku Store. For that, go to “search channels” and type in the channel you want to search for on the virtual keyboard.
- Once you’ve found the channel to add to Roku, click on “Add channel.”
- Click on “OK” to see more details.
- Ultimately, click on “OK” again to add the channel to Roku.
- After this, you will get a confirmation message telling you that the channel has been added to Roku. Click on “OK” to proceed.
That’s all! You now know how to add channels to Roku via the Roku app Store on your device. You’ll find the new channel by default on the main home page. If you require more channels on Roku, simply repeat the process.
How to add channels on Roku via its mobile app
In case you’re new to Roku, did you know that there are free Roku apps for Android and iOS? With it, you will be able to access your Roku account, channels and many other features. You can also use your mobile device as a remote control if you don’t already have one.
As mentioned above, you can add a channel on Roku by using the mobile app. Once you’ve downloaded the Roku app on your smartphone, launch it, and wait for further instructions, like tweaking with the settings, pairing the device, etc.
When that is done and out of the way, you will see the Roku “What’s On” page. It includes a list of all the channels, newly released movies, TV shows and more. Other than that, you could also use the search bar at the top.
To complete the above, you need to first be signed into your Roku account. For the tutorial below, we’re going to be using the Android app:
- Launch the Roku app on your Android smartphone and click on the account page icon at the top-right of the page.
- Click on “Sign in” from the list to log in to your Roku account.
- After you’ve signed in, head back to the homepage by clicking on the < arrow key on the top-left corner.
- Now, to go to the Roku Channel Store, click on “Devices.” You will find the icon at the bottom-right of the screen.
- Click on “ Channels.”
- This will launch a list of channels already installed on your Roku account. Next to it, is the “Channel Store.” Click on it.
- Just like the Roku Smart TV app, the Android mobile app too will offer you a list of featured channels or genres to choose from that you can download.
- When you find the channel you’d like to add to the Roku mobile app, click on it to see more details. Click on “Add.”
- Once you’ve added a channel or channels on Roku, you can launch it directly to your Roku TV by clicking on “Launch.”
How to add channels to Roku from the website
- Go to the Roku website (www.channelstore.roku.com) and sign in to your account. There are two arrows on either side of the page, use it to scroll and look for the channel you like. Other than that, there is also a search channel box. Type in the name of the channel to add to Roku.
- When you sign in to your account and look for channels, you will notice that some of them are installed on your Roku by default. To tell them apart, you will see a couple of buttons below each channel. If some of the channels are already installed, you will see the button of “Installed” under them. If a channel hasn’t been installed, you will see the button of “details” or “+ add channel.”
- When you’ve found the channel that you want to add, click on “+ Add channel.” Just in case you can’t find the button, click on the “Details” button, and then on “+ Add channel.” As mentioned above, there are some channels that are not free. If the channel you require is not free, there will be an additional button below them that says something like “service may require additional fees.” Take a look at the image below as a sample:
Why Should I Add Channels to Roku?
Adding channels to Roku will let you stream content the way you want. It will customize your entertainment lineup. You can access all your preferred channels effortlessly on the TV without paying any extra money. Just in case there are a few channels that aren’t available on Roku because of where you’re located, you should consider using the best VPN for Roku.
How to add uncertified/private channels on Roku
An uncertified, non-certified, or private channel is installed on Roku using a dedicated access code that is provided by the developer of the channel. You won’t find them readily available on the Roku Channel Store. To add a third-party uncertified channel to Roku, first start by logging into your account on either your PC, smartphone or your tablet. Here’s how:
- Visit my.roku.com and sign in to your account.
- Click on “Manage Account.”
- Select “Add Channel with a code.”
- Enter in the channel access code given to you by the channel developer.
- Click on “Add Channel” and then on “OK” when prompted with a warning message.
The hidden or uncertified Roku channels won’t appear immediately after. To find them, you can go to “Settings” > “System” > “System Update” and then on “Check Now.”
Can you add an antenna channel manually to Roku?
Yes, there is a way to add antenna channels to Roku, but the process takes quite a few steps. Once you’ve connected an antenna to your Roku TV, it should automatically begin to scan channels, adding it to your list. However, to add a manual channel, go to your “Settings.” Click on “Broadcasting” and then to the manual setting. Once you click on the manual tuning, you will be able to add antenna channels manually to your Roku TV.
How does FastestVPN help you to stream safely on Roku?
If you want to stream content on the Roku device safely then FastestVPN makes a great solution to your problem. With its end-to-end 256-bit encryption, your browsing activity gets a whole lot more private than before; added your connection is secured.
Smart security features like DNS leak protection and Kill Switch save you from accidental IP leaks. Here’s how to set up FastestVPN on Roku.
Not only that, but FastestVPN also unblocks region-restricted content. Some Roku channels are region-restricted. It means that only USA viewers can access those channels. Services like Hulu and Netflix only offer limited content to viewers outside the USA.
FastestVPN, with its amazing server range of 550+ servers, can help you unblock unlimited content from around the world. If you’re not living in the USA, still you can access the entire Netflix USA library effortlessly.
Are Roku Private Channels Legal?
Roku Non-Certified channels/apps are not illegal. However, streaming pirated content is illegal. The Roku support team doesn’t provide any support for the private channels. Plus, you will also receive a warning alert that says Roku will remove the channel without prior notice if any copyright infringement is determined.
What are Roku Channels?
Roku is a streaming device, but it’s no good when you have nothing interesting to watch. With that said, you can add Roku channels to your device, which are basically a combination of the best streaming apps and TV channels. You can add both paid and free channels to Roku from the Roku app store. For the paid channels, you can subscribe to them after adding the channel to Roku.
Why can’t I add a channel to my Roku?
There are a couple of reasons why you’re not able to add a channel to Roku. The first and most common reason is regional or geographical restrictions. There are certain channels or streaming apps that are blocked or censored in some countries. Accessing them on Roku won’t be so easy either, which also includes the Roku Channel Store website too.
How do you add an app to Roku?
Click on the “Home” button on your remote and click on “Streaming Channels.” Look for the channel that you want and then click on “Add Channel.” Click on “OK” to confirm.
How do I add channels on Roku?
Just like devices like Android or iOS smartphones have a dedicated app store, similarly, Roku too has a Roku channel store. You can head to the Roku channel store and add channels from there. Some are free while others require you to sign up and pay for it. After you add a paid channel to your Roku device, you can proceed to sign up for it.
And that’s about it. You now know how to add a channel to Roku and get access to some of the best streaming content there is! Also remember that because some channels might be blocked where you’re located, using the best VPN for it works wonders.